#NIGERIAWINS: Twitter reaches out to FG, seeks dialogue

Lai-Mohammed-2.jpg

Lai Mohammed addressing journalists at the State House on Wednesday, June 9, 2021.

Share with love

Twitter has reached out to the Nigerian Government for dialogue, days after its operations in the country were banned and Nigerians ordered against patronizing and accessing the American social media network.

President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration continues to take credit for not allowing first world countries which had hitherto taken Nigeria for granted by imposing sanctions any time the country made attempt to grow itself.  The administration has told many foreign interests that are in the country to do business to do so according to the rules of the land and not to undermine the nation’s sovereignty like Twitter attempted to do and which earned the big hammer of the state, meaning Nigeria is a serious.

Confirming this development on Wednesday while addressing State House correspondence after the Federal Executive Council meeting was the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.

Advert Space

He said Twitter reached out to the Federal Government on Wednesday morning for ‘high-level discussion.’

He declared that the ban has so far been very effective following reports of Twitter’s huge financial losses running into billions.

Our sources had earlier said the media reports about how Nigeria lost N2 billion over Twitter ban was wrong but that it should better be said that Twitter lost such amount as Nigeria gains nothing from a company that does business in the country without responsibility to it.

The Information Minister maintains that Twitter has been a platform of choice for separatists to thrive and would be disallowed from operating until it is duly registered, licensed, and operates within regulations.

When the Minister was asked about the law under which Nigerians who violate the Twitter ban would be prosecuted, Lai refrained from answering and asked that the Attorney General of the Federation provide answers.

Speaking concerning the discussion at the FEC meeting chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari, Mohammed insisted on the ban and asked politicians to rise beyond various divisions and queue behind the country’s decision to ban the microblogging site.

Minister Lai Mohammed also spoke concerning the payment of tax by tech giants in the country.

He explained that most of the OTT and social media platforms operating in Nigeria do not have offices either do they pay taxes for the billions earned.

Henceforth, the Federal government has resolved to ensure other social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram be registered in the country and adverts have been published to this effect.

The information minister, despite criticism by Human Rights groups, insists that freedom of speech has not been stifled as a result of the ban.

He maintained that other social media platforms are still available for use.


Share with love
Top