WAKE UP: The parable of three categories of people – the idiots, the tribesmen and the citizens

WAKE-UP.jpg
Share with love

By BASHIR ADEFAKA

This article that is essentially a kind of food for thought has no source because, it has not evidently been ascribable to or its originality has not been claimed by anyone since it was first posted by a particular right thinking Nigerian on his Facebook page sometimes in 2021. However, I decided to adopt it as my WAKE UP column material because, it contains substance pushful enough to spur most Nigerians under our current reality to think straight. Excerpts:

Unless you understand your role in society, you can never make any meaningful contribution.

According to the Greeks there are three types of people on earth: the idiots, the tribesmen, and the citizens.

Studies show only 10% of Africans are citizens. The remaining 90% are either tribesmen or idiots.

When the Greeks used the word “idiot”, they did not use it as a curse word.

Idiots are people who just don’t care. If they write exams, they will cheat. If they are in government they will steal.

An idiot does not care at all, if he eats bananas he throws the peels anywhere instead of putting them in a trash bin.

According to the Greeks, some societies have more idiots than tribesmen and citizens.

The next set of people are tribesmen. These are people that look at everything from the point of view of their tribe.

These are people that believe in you only if you are part of their tribe.

It can be terrible to have a tribesman as a leader, he will alienate the rest.

When the Greeks talk about tribes, it’s not just about ethnicity, they also consider religion as a tribe.

A great percentage of Africans are tribesmen, because they view everything from the point of view of their tribes. They trust only their tribesmen.

The last group are citizens. These are people that like to do things the right way.

They will respect traffic light rules even if no one is watching them. They drive within speed limits. They respect the laws, won’t cheat in exams.

In government they won’t steal. They are compassionate and give to others to promote their wellbeing.

Citizens often promote projects that benefit everyone.

The Greeks called this group the citizens.

Some countries have more citizens than tribesmen and idiots. Others have so many idiots.

A tribesman can become a citizen through orientation.

And an idiot can become a citizen by training and constant enforcement of the law.

But things fall apart if you elect an idiot or tribesman to lead you if he has not been reformed.

Where do you belong?

Are you an idiot, a tribesman or a citizen?

Reflect about your life.

Reflect about your country and Africa in general before you answer.

Food for thought!

My Comment: God bless Nigeria, where diversity has persistently been misused as source of conflict as against being rightfully applied and appreciated as source of strength, united force for security, peace, industry-based economy for growth and development.

*See you next time but don’t forget to send your reaction to adefakab@gmail.com


Share with love
Top