AfricaCommunityFeaturesGeneral NewsLocal NewsNewsNorthSecurityState-of-the-Nation

Residents flee to Benin Republic after terrorist attacks in Niger State

By SUMAYYAH ADEFAKA

Thousands of terrified residents in Borgu and Agwara local councils of Niger State have fled their homes to neighbouring Benin Republic, following renewed attacks by terrorists.

The latest assault came barely 24 hours after the governors of Niger and Kwara states, Mohammed Umaru Bago and Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, met in Minna on Monday to assess security in the border towns.

Eyewitnesses reported that over 200 gunmen, riding about 70 motorcycles, stormed the Konkoso community in the early hours of Tuesday, marking the second attack on the town within a week. Residents said the attackers set more houses ablaze before moving on to Segbana, another border village between Benin Republic and Kebbi State. Casualty figures remain unconfirmed.

Villagers expressed panic over the absence of security operatives. Police outposts in the area were burnt last week, forcing officers to withdraw, while terrorists have reportedly established a base in Konkoso. Residents are fleeing in droves to Segbana in Benin Republic to escape the violence.

A local resident, speaking on condition of anonymity, said, “Over 200 terrorists returned to Konkoso this morning with about 70 motorcycles, burning down the remaining houses that survived last week’s attack.”

The recent spate of attacks comes despite the presence of United States soldiers in Northern Nigeria, who are working with Nigerian troops to develop strategies to curb terrorism and insecurity.

The scale of destruction has left entire communities deserted, with more than 50 confirmed deaths in the past five days, highlighting the deepening challenges faced by security agencies in the region.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

We noticed you're using an ad blocker. To continue providing you with quality journalism and up-to-date news, we rely on advertising revenue. Please consider disabling your ad blocker while visiting our site. Your support helps us keep the news accessible to everyone.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Sincerely, Defender Media Limited