AfricaArticlesEconomyGeneral NewsLaw and OrderNational DevelopmentNewsPowerSecurity

FG arraigns El-Rufai over alleged interception of Nuhu Ribadu’s phone

By BASIRAT SHITTU

The Federal Government has filed charges against the former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai. The charges, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, were filed before the Federal High Court, Abuja Judicial Division, by the Federal Republic of Nigeria as complainant and El-Rufai as defendant.

According to court documents the prosecution claimed that on February 13, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme in Abuja, El-Rufai admitted that he and others unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

In count one, the Federal Government alleges that the admission amounts to an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count two alleges that El-Rufai stated during the same interview that he knew and related with individuals who unlawfully intercepted Ribadu’s phone communications but failed to report them to relevant security agencies, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.

The third count also claimed that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026 in Abuja, used technical equipment or systems to unlawfully intercept the National Security Adviser’s phone communications, an act said to have compromised public safety and national security, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

The offence in count three was said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003. As of the time of filing this report, no date had been fixed for El-Rufai’s arraignment. Details coming soon.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

We noticed you're using an ad blocker. To continue providing you with quality journalism and up-to-date news, we rely on advertising revenue. Please consider disabling your ad blocker while visiting our site. Your support helps us keep the news accessible to everyone.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Sincerely, Defender Media Limited