The Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, has ordered a full scale investigation into Tuesday`s accidental bombing of civilian target by the military in Rann, Kala Balge Local Government Area of Borno.
Dan-Ali gave the directive in Maiduguri on Wednesday while speaking at a condolence visit to the Shehu of Dikwa, Alhaji Muhammad Masta, in his residence.
He said that the objective of the investigation was to prevent future recurrence of the problem.
“As the Honorable Minister of Defence, I have directed the Defence Headquarters to conduct a detailed investigation with a view to making sure that such ugly situation would never happen again in future operations,” Dan-Ali said.
He said that the Military had been directed to offer all necessary emergency assistance to the victims of the unfortunate incident.
“I have authorised the Armed Forces to offer all necessary emergency assistance to the victims of those involved through casualty evacuation and provision of immediate medical care,” he said.
The minister said that the visit was to condole with the government and the people of the state over the incident.
“We are here to condole with the government and people of the state over Tuesday`s unfortunate incident that led to loss of lives and injury to others, as a result of rockets mistakenly dropped by the Nigerian Air Force on Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Rann.
“The incident is heart-troubling, highly regrettable and could have been avoided.
‘’However, this incident is an isolated case which happened rarely in a theatre of battle even among more advanced troops in the world.
“I pray to almighty Allah to grant the souls of those who died a perfect peace and also give the bereaved families the fortitude to bear the loss.
‘’I also wish the injured a quick recovery,” Dan-Ali said.
Responding, Masta thanked the delegation for the visit and prayed for recovery of the injured people.